[nabs-l] confused - regarding - NFB Google Apps complaint

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sun Mar 20 22:21:44 UTC 2011

People are doing a lot of uninformed speculation here.  Freedom
Scientific has no legal obligation to make inaccessible applications
accessible.  It may make good business sense, but the don't have
to.  And ...  depending on the technologies used, they may not be
able to make GoogleApps accessible with what is there now.

And, the NFB doesn't sue Google because there are no direct
grounds.  Google, like FS, has no legal obligation to make its
applications accessible.  It might make sense, but there is no law
that says they have too.

On the other hand colleges and universities are obligated to provide
accessible services and programs, and if they don't, they can be
sued.  Thus Google can be pressured to do the right thing, by its
customers, universities, who can be sued.
Dave