[nabs-l] confused - regarding - NFB Google Apps complaint

Trevor Saunders trev.saunders at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 06:15:43 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 05:21:44PM -0500, David Andrews wrote:
> People are doing a lot of uninformed speculation here.  Freedom
> Scientific has no legal obligation to make inaccessible applications
> accessible.  It may make good business sense, but the don't have to.
> And ...  depending on the technologies used, they may not be able to
> make GoogleApps accessible with what is there now.

yes, however from what I've seen I'm very unconvinced its google's
fault, or that some of the google apps are even unaccessible in the
first place.  afaict gmail chat, calendar and (docs to some degree) seem
to work fine with firefox 4 on linux, there is some slowness, but that's
an issue related to firefox and orca and orthagonal to this issue.  Its
been a while but iirc the stock gmail interface worked pretty well with
nvda.  However I haven't had much reason to look at any of these pages
with dom inspector or a similar tool to see what the page makes
available, however since my experience is that these pages work my gues
would be that it isn't too unreasonable.  So considering the complaints
I've heard here I'm inclined to believe that the issue here is more a
jaws or IE problem, but I don't have any real evidence for that its just
a gues.  If someone has used dom inspector or the like and says that
some of the google apps should use ARIA or something in a way they don't
to make things more accessible I would be willing to believe that.

Trev