[nabs-l] skimming

Antonio Guimaraes freethaught at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 20:13:51 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I have read most of the messages in this topic, and thank all for the input
and suggestions for skimming.

Let me say to the skimming skeptics among us that reading certainly takes
the front seat in studying, but sellective reading is a must especially
where research is concerned. I've realized that I can't possibly read every
word on every chapter of my texts, and be expected to retain all of the
material, even if I am to be responsible for knowing all the content from
200 pages for a 50 question exam.

I don't want to go too much into reading techniques, but I read, and
certainly still remember a study acronym from my intro to psychology some
years ago:

S, Q, 3r.

Skim
Question
read
recite
review.

Skimming gives you an overview of the material. A panoramic insite into what
is to come. It also enables one to ask questions:

Who did what and when?

What is this or that consept, and how does it apply to the topic at hand?

What are the inportant definitions, people, places, processes, techniques,
ets.
.

Reading follows, and is more likely to stick since you have a focused set of
learning objectives.

Reciting can take the form of teaching someone, a study partner, what you're
learning about.

Reviewing, going over notes, ad key points helps you own the material.

I stand by these principles as the technique most likely to produce results,
at least for me.

Now to skimming:

Joe Orozco, you mentioned hih speed scaners, and I have a dream of owning or
gaining access to these some day. They are the faster scans one can get.
Only downside is that they reuire books to be destroyed, cut apart, and I've
yet to find a library that will let this practice fly with their books.

I don't mind so much to do this with my own books, but buying all the books
I can scan will also break the bank, even if they serve an educational
purpose.

I have heard reports of the iPal working well for fast scans. I would be
curious to know how often one finds a book larger than 8 and a half by 11.

The iPal, or whatever the latest produc from their manufacturer only scans
pages up to this size, and I wonder if this is such a great shortcoming.

If I had personal acnedotal information regarding book size, I would have a
better handle on whether this is a good fit.

I would think seriously about buying one if I heard that users rarely
encountered a book that won't fit the scanning area.

And the advantage would be the preservation of books, not to mention the
portability. These fit in a bak pack.

Now to focus my attention on a paper that won't write itself,

Antonio Guimaraes