[nabs-l] OT weight issues

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 22 02:47:00 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I’ve battled the weight and appearance issue particularly in the recent years; my mother got upset about this once I gained weight upon going to Marymount and eating some unhealthy food there.  The freshman 15 is true!  Not that I gained 15 pounds but did gain some weight.  It was a slow weight gain and I hardly noticed it until I put on different clothes.
BTW I lost those six or seven pounds I gained at Marymount university, MU. But of course I’m still overweight and my mom isn’t satisfied.

I am about five feet and I am apple shaped, meaning my fat tissue is in my middle, the abdominal area.
I am a girl, so image in this society plays a part.
My Body mass index, BMI, is not 30, the obese category. BMI is
a person’s weight over height squared.
But its not far off.
I mentioned my height and sex and where the weight shows since it does affect your image and health.
Weight around the abdomin area, apple shape, is associated with more health risks. I took a health class in college.

I should lose weight to  fit in a dress for a wedding in early May and to have a better weight overall.

Its been a struggle.  I already eat more whole grains and some complex carbs.
For instance cereal such as Cheerios for breakfast. I eat no fat milk.
I eat little red meat; I eat chicken and pork primarily. I do not eat fried food or drink sodas.
I have some fruit but could probably do better there.  The worse food I eat is chips which I eat at lunch with a sandwich.
So I say it’s a struggle because I have eaten healthily for several years and do not see many results.  I live with parents and my mother has to eat low carbs due to health issues anyway.  If I have carbs, they are the complex kind, like potatoes, not the refined kind!

I might add that I weigh less than in years past.  Yet I cannot fit in a size 14 dress!

What suggestions do you have for diet? How do you feel full on less calories?
I drink water at night, but sometimes I still get the hunger and crave something.  Its probably cause I’m stressed too!

Another issue I see is that being blind I cannot participate in as much games; I cannot run out and shoot basketball or soccer.
I belong to a gym, but classes rely on seeing an instructor lead classes. I have not found them too accomodating.
I tried a cardio kickboxing class and it was a disaster as I could not follow the fast pace!
I have done spinning, a bike workout to music. That is the most accessible.

I cannot  go to the gym often and I do not feel motivated to workout at home due to the fact we have an old treadmill in the back basement. You cannot incline it and the environment just is too stagnant or something being in the basement!
I do moves in place, usually jumping jacks, but its not enough.

I wish someone would make a described workout video for aerobics!

Anyway, I just wondered how you all deal with this and what worked for you.
My mom says its all my fault; well obviously she doesn’t admit weight is partly genetic, and studies indicate that fat in the mid section is the hardest to lose.
Women my shape will lose fat from the top down.  So, the place you want to lose the fat is the last place it will come off!
Its opposite. Where you put on the fat is the last place to lose it.
I just had to vent. I’m tired of being accused I drink too many sodas and juices when I never drink them except when I’m out at a restaurant.
As for juices, only at lunch time. I cut back that at night. Sometimes I don’t even have it at lunch and stick with plain tap water.
I’m tired of hearing I eat too many sweets when actually yes I have some. But its during lunch time or as a snack; not at night.
I could cut back on that I suppose and eat another snack instead. But fruit never fills me up.
Maybe something healthier like rice cakes or low fat peanuter/creakers. I don’t know.
But I am not this overeating junk food aholic my mother thinks I am.

Let me know your ideas.
Ashley