[nabs-l] Making Friends/Socializing With Sighted People

Serena Cucco serenacucco at verizon.net
Sun Mar 27 01:15:01 UTC 2011

It's true that sighted people might think you want to be alone cuz you're
sitting alone, but I frankly think they're stupid!  You're probably sitting
alone cuz you came to the bar or lunch/dinner table alone, but that's cuz
you weren't with anyone, not cuz you wanted to be alone.  It isn't so simple
to find a group of people to sit with, especially if you're not very
familiar with the bar or dining hall.  When I was in college, there were
many times I came to the dining hall alone and people sat with me or didn't,
depending on who was around.  My sighted friend Anthony often came alone and
often came with his girlfriend ... I'm sure people sometimes sat with him,
but I'm sure he sometimes ended up eating alone.  If you come alone, I think
it's better to not ask random people to join their group just to make people
know you're not antisocial.  It's better to simply sit alone and hope people
realize you don't want to be alone.  It's the age.  Young adults are simply
that ... young and often immature.  Sorry, but I think many people, sighted
or blind, are just plain dumb!

Also, I think the socializing issue is separate from learning independence
skills, except that Kerrie mentioned not using sighted guide or asking
people for rides to show she's not burdening her acquaintances.  I don't
think she's purposely going places alone simply to be independent.  Kerrie,
please correct me if I'm wrong.

Serena