[nabs-l] Reading class material

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 27 07:28:10 UTC 2011

All college students should register with their disability services
office on campus.  When you register, they should go through a list of
accommodations, and of course you can add in accommodations you feel are
necessary.

These accommodations should be sent to each instructor, each semester.
It is in your best interest to speak individually with instructors to go
over some of this though.

You can work privately with an instructor to ensure material is
accessible, but if this does not work, or instructors are unwilling to
comply, or it takes forever and a day to get the material, your first
step should be to contact your DSO.  They should act as a liaison
between you and instructors.

Your VR counselor actually does not have sway directly over these
matters.  Certainly they can speak with instructors to help explain
things, but it is the DSO that should ensure not only the accessibility
of material, but how quickly you receive material.

Even if your DSO is not great, there are certain laws stipulating your
right to accessible material in a timely fashion.

I usually take hard copies of hand outs to scan on my own, but if
instructors have electronic copies, they just email them to me.  I take
all my own notes, and I have never required another person to take notes
for me.  If I require an explanation during a lecture, or am not sure of
a spelling, I simply ask.  If the class is not conducive to asking
questions during lectures, or if I would have to constantly stop to ask
questions, holding the lecture up, I make arrangements to meet with the
instructor later, but I have never encountered this situation.

When I have material, like Powerpoints or inaccessible PDF's, I take it
to my DSO and they format it for me.  Now, I may have to remind them to
send it when I need it, but I also understand this is my responsibility
since the DSO has other students they are doing things for.

I also have spoke with instructors about inaccessible material, and in
four years, all of my instructors have been willing to do what they can
as well as allowing me to guide them through the process since I am the
blind student and know what I need.  I have had instructors convert PP's
into Word documents, send hard copy material electronically, ensure
during group projects that classmates send me material in electronic
formats.  I have been lucky, but begin with instructors-- most are
willing to work with you.

When dealing with classmates, this is where the system, in my
experience, can break down.  I make sure to copy instructors on all
emails sent to classmates, and if fellow students still fail to send
material in a timely fashion, I contact the instructor right away.  If
the material is not sent quickly, at least the instructor realizes it is
not your fault and should not penalize you for not having the material.
Being a creative writing major in a program based around the workshop
environment, I have tons of experience in this.  If classmates do not
email me with their manuscripts, I can not make comments and discuss
during workshop.  I do, however, take hard copies of student material to
scan in the event they do not send material electronically.  If
possible, I recommend taking any hard copy material offered beforehand
so you are covered.  If you can not scan on your own, your DSO should
provide this service, though you will have to give them time.

I would only go through your counselor if your DSO is not helping.  This
is how the hierarchy should work.

Bridgit

Message: 16