[nabs-l] Making Friends/Socializing With Sighted People

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 15:06:13 UTC 2011

Kerry,
  Don't be so quick to assume everyone will find reasons to turn you
away.  I know it's hard (from experience), but sometimes simply asking
if you can join people goes a long way.  And...if they say no, what
have you lost?  I think it's better to try and get rejected, for
whatever reason (which might not even have anything to do with you),
than to not try at all.
  And another thing.  (I've got me a Sunday school lesson to get ready
so I'm gonna make this short)  But if someone's going the same place
you are, and if they live close, I don't think it's a burden at all to
ask for rides.  Heck, lots of the people I know at college don't have
cars, so they're kind of stuck in the same situation where they have
to ask for a ride/take a bus/whatever.  So asking for a ride isn't
weird at all...at least to me.  And, if you feel bad or guilty about
it, offer to buy them a drink at the bar or something, or pay for some
of the gas, or whatever.
  And don't ever forget that you're not alone.  Lots of us have gone
through or are still going through the same kind of thing.  But I'd
say try and hang out with the people who come say hi.  The worst that
could happen is they say no, which isn't really your fault at all.
And even that's probably better than your situation now because at
least you made the effort.  Good luck, and be safe.
  Best,
Kirt