[nabs-l] Making Friends/Socializing With Sighted People

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 20:33:10 UTC 2011

Hi Anjelina, Ashley and All:

First, regarding the girls who live in the same apartment complex, I
had no idea they were going to Crockett's or I would've asked them. I
was already there and had been for quite a while before they came in.

Anjelina and others, that is a great point about inviting them to do
something else or telling them to text or call me if they would want
to do anything else.

I admit I am guilty of complaining that they do not invite me into
their group but never really thought much about inviting them to do
something else sometime. That may help sort of break the ice and allow
them to see that I like to do the same things as everyone else. It may
also show them that I do in fact see them as a friend outside of
Crockett's.

I guess I've just gotten so used to  going places alone that I never
really thought to try inviting them instead of just seeing them out.

For example, with the two girls who live in my apartment complex I
could invite them to the pool. I also know at least one of them likes
Starbucks so maybe going to Starbucks one day would be fun.

Anjelina, thanks for getting a sighted person's perspective. That is
interesting and helps me feel better about the situation. I am glad as
others have said this is not specifically related to blindness and
that sighted people also struggle with this and receive the same
treatment.

Thanks!
Kerri