[nabs-l] Making Friends/Socializing With Sighted People

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 18:39:39 UTC 2011

Yeah-sometimes I can't help wondering if we're going for "separate but
equal" as blind people, or if we want full-on integration, period.
The blind people I know really aren't different from the sighted
people I know.  There's no social barrier that says "you're sighted,
you can't understand me, you can't relate with me on a fundamental
human level cause I'm blind and you're not and that makes you unable
to relate."  If anything, (I'm talking generally here, there are lots
of exceptions to this), it's the blind people lots of times who act
like noone but blind people can relate and isolate themselves from the
sighted world.  Don't argue too hard, I've seen it way too much.
  And anyway, I've talked too much here.  Kerry, good luck.  I know
you've got it in you.  :)
  Best,
Kirt

On 3/28/11, Ignasi Cambra <ignasicambra at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> obligated to say yes, which in some circles might make the social
>> experience forced.
>> There isn't an across  the board answer for all social situations. As Jedi
>> said, it comes down to your judgment.
>> -----Original Message----- From: Katie Wang
>> Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:53 PM
>> To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list
>> Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Making Friends/Socializing With Sighted People
>>
>> Hi, Kerri and all,
>> This is an interesting discussion, and I think everyone has made
>> some great points. I would just like to add that blindness can become
>> a much smaller social barrier when you have some common interests with
>> the people you are interacting with. I know that it is much harder to
>> find such people when you are no longer in school, but perhaps you
>> could find some kind of church/community group to join (choir, book
>> clubs, community service organizations, etc.). Also, take the
>> initiative to socialize at work-- If there is someone you get along
>> well with and seem to have a lot in common, why not suggest getting
>> coffee or hang out outside of work? Perhaps you could even invite her
>> to go to the bar/restaurant you frequent.
>> Finally, I want to echo what Kirt (and a few others) to say that
>> blindness may not be the only factor involved here. I have sat alone
>> on occasion in college dining halls simply because my close friends
>> weren't around and others would rather stick with their own groups,
>> but I know that many sighted people have had similar experiences. I
>> also know many sighted people who have difficulty making new friends
>> after college, because it is harder to meet people who are in the
>> similar age range and interested in similar things. It is true that
>> many people may be hesitant to interact with us because we are blind,
>> and sometimes our blindness does make it harder to reach out in a
>> crowded setting (we may not be able to hear who is around so would
>> have to wait until others to greet us), but it is definitely not the
>> only determinant of our social experiences. Hope this helps and good
>> luck!
>>  Katie
>>

>> On 3/27/11, Michelle Clark <mcikeyc at aol.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I agree. Many times, sighted persons just do not have a clue as to what
>>> do or how to act. I personally feel that often I as the blind person must
>>> take the first move to make people be comfortable.
>>>
>>> In the Bible, there is a scripture that states "To have friends, one must
>>> first show themselves friendly". I take that attitude and often am
>>> successful.
>>>
>>> On last week, I left a job in which I held for four months to move on to
>>> another offer that better suited my needs. On the last few days in which
>>> was there, there were emails, hugs, and visits from others who just
>>> wanted
>>> to wish me good luck. Some even took my email, Face book info, and
>>> number. I left there with tears in my eyes because I did not know how
>>> many
>>> friends I had made in that short amount of time.
>>>
>>> In all, I just made myself friendly and walked around, into person's
>>> offices
>>> to speak, initially I was just lost, and made sure I spoke most times
>>> when I
>>> heard something while in the halls; Even if I had to speak first.
>>>
>>> The greatest thing I did to bridge the understanding gap was to make a
>>> dish
>>> for an International Lunch the department had. I had to write a short