[nabs-l] working with the public

humberto humbertoa5369 at netzero.net
Tue Mar 29 03:26:45 UTC 2011

Hello ashley.
You asked really good questions.  Let me give you some innovative
answers to some of your questions.  First, in dealing with any
paperwork, yes, you can label things in Braille, but also, if you
can afford, you can purchase the KNFB reader which I don't have
myself, but I've seen it and it is a great thing to have
regarding print access and when new paperwork comes in to your
desk, just snap pictures of the print pages and the KNFB reader
will read out loud to you.  Then you can label your print pages
accordingly.
Also, regarding the asking for directions, you might stick with
an accessible GPS device or software, such as the Sendero GPS for
the BrailleNote and StreetTalk for the pacmate.  I've also heard
that there are some accessible GPS with the iPhone and the
android phones.  (I'm not sure, but I heard the Sendero also has
an iPhone app for their product?) Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyways, you can just get your notetaker up and running and start
the application, and when you ask for directions all you have to
do is get the information off your accessible GPS then you can
either transfer that information to a printer (print it) or
verbally try to explain everything that's going on your device
just like a regular sighted person would do -- remember you want
to be as normal and as equal as everyone else -- just do this and
people will come back to you with more questions.
Regarding people coming to your desk, for instance, people might,
mostly, say "Excuse me," but not every person does this so please
ask additional questions as they come to either us or your agency
you are volunteering for.  Hope this helped you.

<nabs-l at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 22:34:16 -0400
>Subject: [nabs-l] working with the public

>Hi all,
>I’m really hoping to volunteer and work with the public at a
county park or the national park or possibly a museum.  I want to
build some experience and do outreach activities; I like to help
people.

>Have you worked directly with the public? If so, how was it?
>What challenges did you encounter?  Did you supply accomodations
or did the agency you “worked"” for supply them?
>How do you handle the information desk where people just come up
and ask questions?
>They probably will not know I’m blind and with my tunnel vision
I may not see who is there.

>So did you figure out techniques to know people were coming up to
you?  Any cues you listened for?  I figured that most will just
speak right when they come up to the desk; after all they want
information!  But in case they don’t, I’d like to be able to
greet them.

>I’ll probably work with another staff member or volunteer at
first while training; but I want them to have confidence in me I
can handle it on my own.
>How do you handle papers that they fill out or you have to
desiminate?  What I mean is they might have to sign in or
something.  I might be required to answer questions and hand out
brochures, pamphlets, or other matterial.  How can I ensure I am
giving out the right information?

>Maybe I should just label the stack in braille? What about
identifying people?  Do I just ask and take their word for it?  I
doubt they will need to track who comes up to the counter and
asks this or that.
>But just in case, I’m wondering.  If I work at the visitors’
center or museums they will already have gone through security so
that isn’t an issue
>What do I do about looking up information?  A sighted person may
skim through a book or something.
>Do I try and get that in accessible format and do it
electronically?  What about giving directions?  Often visitors
ask this.
>I cannot see a map.  So do I just verbalize directions and hand
them a map?  A sighted person would probably point to a map while
explaining; that is what I’ve seen happen in public settings
with my parents.