[nabs-l] working with the public

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 29 02:34:16 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I’m really hoping to volunteer and work with the public at a county park or the national park or possibly a museum.  I want to build some experience and do outreach activities; I like to help people.

Have you worked directly with the public? If so, how was it?
What challenges did you encounter?  Did you supply accomodations or did the agency you “worked"” for supply them?
How do you handle the information desk where people just come up and ask questions?
They probably will not know I’m blind and with my tunnel vision I may not see who is there.

So did you figure out techniques to know people were coming up to you?  Any cues you listened for?  I figured that most will just speak right when they come up to the desk; after all they want information!  But in case they don’t, I’d like to be able to greet them.

I’ll probably work with another staff member or volunteer at first while training; but I want them to have confidence in me I can handle it on my own.
How do you handle papers that they fill out or you have to desiminate?  What I mean is they might have to sign in or something. I might be required to answer questions and hand out brochures, pamphlets, or other matterial.  How can I ensure I am giving out the right information?

Maybe I should just label the stack in braille? What about identifying people?  Do I just ask and take their word for it?  I doubt they will need to track who comes up to the counter and asks this or that.
But just in case, I’m wondering.  If I work at the visitors’ center or museums they will already have gone through security so that isn’t an issue
What do I do about looking up information?  A sighted person may skim through a book or something.
Do I try and get that in accessible format and do it electronically?  What about giving directions?  Often visitors ask this.
I cannot see a map.  So do I just verbalize directions and hand them a map?  A sighted person would probably point to a map while explaining; that is what I’ve seen happen in public settings with my parents.

Thanks for any ideas.
Ashley