[nabs-l] If the World Went Sighted..

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue May 3 03:19:02 UTC 2011

Chris:

I agree with you.  I did not, in fact, say that diversity could be negative
although I dare say that quite a number of high school kids trying to "fit
in" might think so.  In fact, to my way of thinking, physical diversity is
neutral.  Intellectual diversity is certainly an advantage.  As for negative
diversity -- let's see -- how about the presence of diseases such as
sickle-cell anemia?  After all, the genes that code for this disease also
confer some immunity to malaria.  Yet few would disagree with those who seek
to cure or eliminate this disease.

Now I'm not saying blindness is a disease.  It is a physical condition
resulting from the lack of one sense -- vision.  That's far from being a
disease in my book.  But I don't believe blindness confers any advantages,
either.

Perhaps a sentence or two about my view of life might help you to understand
where I'm coming from -- it's a view that Jedi does not subscribe to.  Long
live diversity, eh?  Anyway, I am agnostic.  Therefore, I do not believe
there is any meaning in life apart from the meaning we give it by our own
actions.  Nor do I believe there is an ultimate purpose to existence except
insofar as we overlay it with a gloss of meaning of our own making.
Therefore, questions such as "why am I here?  Why was I blind?  What purpose
does my blindness serve in the larger scheme of things?" have no answers
and, in fact, make no sense to even ask.  It's sort of like in quantum
mechanics where it makes no sense to ask whether an electron is a wave or a
particle.

Anyway, with that world view in mind and bearing in mind that I subscribe to
the NFB notion that with training and opportunity, blindness can be reduced
to the level of a physical inconvenience and that we, the blind, are simply
normal people who cannot see, I do not see that having blind people around
confers some special blessing on society.  Blindness is just that -- the
lack of sight.  I do not believe that it renders us privy to special
insights, miraculous talents or capacities or special cultural
predilections.  I am therefore not committed to its preservation.  Neither,
on the other hand, am I committed to its eradication.  If it happens, so be
it.  If it does not, so be it.  I'm not going to worry overly-much about it
since it won't happen in my lifetime and there will be innumerable
circumstances I cannot foresee so cannot make a binding judgment upon.

Bottom line: I don't see how we can say that blindness is just the lack of
eyesight while at the same time believing it confers special virtues or
valuable traits for society.  I truly do not believe blindness to be all
that much of a muchness.  Sometimes it's a pain; sometimes it's just there.
In my experience, it's never the catalyst for wisdom or enlightenment.

Now that I've written this to death, on to the next issue! (smile)

Mike