[nabs-l] what is Federationism

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed May 4 01:36:14 UTC 2011

Chris:

I conceive of Federationism as the attempt to live the Federation philosophy
in one's own life.  It is the active espousal of NFB philosophy in word and
deed.

What is the Federation philosophy?  Here's what I wrote on the NFB of
Washington website:

The real problem of blindness is not the lack of eyesight; it is the
misconceptions about blindness held by society.
The blind are neither especially cursed nor especially blessed; they are
normal people who cannot see.
With training and opportunity, blindness can be reduced to the level of a
physical nuisance or inconvenience.
With training and opportunity, the average blind person can perform the
average job in the average workplace as well as can his/her sighted
colleagues.
The blind are a minority within society and virtually all of the problems of
blindness are those experienced by other minorities within society, e.g.,
discriminatory treatment and lack of acceptance as persons of equal standing
with the rest of society.
In essence, NFB's philosophy of blindness amounts to the knowledge that it
is respectable to be blind.

Additionally, we of the NFB believe that we, the blind, can adapt to the
world, requiring few modifications to function effectively in the world as
it is.

I joined the Federation and am still a Federationist because I believe in
the tenets of NFB philosophy and, having had some difficulty securing
employment, because I vowed that I would do what I could to see to it that
such discrimination wouldn't happen to the blind of future generations.  It
is my way of doing what I can to see to it that the blind achieve
first-class citizenship and complete integration into society on a basis of
equality with the sighted.  I've always been interested in the law,
especially constitutional law, and the NFB is a great way for me to play
lawyer without a law degree (I've authored several Washington laws) and
gives me a chance to examine in detail such concepts as discrimination, what
we can and should expect from society and, perhaps more importantly, what we
shouldn't expect.

Mike Freeman