[nabs-l] what is Federationism

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 4 03:03:17 UTC 2011

I've made this point many times before, but it's been a while; perhaps there
are new subscribers who haven't heard it yet.

I think Mike's characterization of federation philosophy is accurate, and
there's a lot worth championing in that way of understanding blindness, but
there's also, in my opinion, a serious inconsistency.

Mike wrote,
virtually all of the problems of blindness are those experienced by other
minorities within society, e.g., discriminatory treatment and lack of
acceptance as persons of equal standing with the rest of society.

Mike also wrote,
Additionally, we of the NFB believe that we, the blind, can adapt to the
world, requiring few modifications to function effectively in the world as
it is.

I don't think this is quite write.  It seems to me federationism not only
suggests that we can adapt to the world as it is, but that we ought to adapt
to the world as it is.  And this is the aspect of federationism I think is
problematic and inconsistent.

My question is: why not adapt to the discrimination and unequal treatment?
What I would argue is that designing products, services, institutions, etc
in such a way that they are inaccessible is a form of discrimination.  So
federationism requires 1) that we stand up and resist discrimination and 2)
that we accept and adapt to discrimination, and this is inconsistent.

One could avoid the inconsistency by defining discrimination narrowly.  You
might say that discrimination requires intent and that badly designing
various products, services, etc is not done with discriminatory intent, and
thus does not qualify as discrimination.  I could concede this point, but
then I'd argue that recognizing these things as inaccessible and than
failing to correct them is discrimination.  It conceivably wasn't a
discriminatory intention that led builders of the Canadian Parliament to
fail to include enough women's washrooms.  There weren't that many women in
the building, and they certainly weren't sitting in the House of Commons, so
there was no need to build washrooms for them.  But when women did begin to
be elected, failing to build the washrooms would be discriminatory.  Nor was
building the washrooms a matter of accommodating the special needs of women,
doing so was required as a matter of justice, it was the correction of a
flaw in the initial design.  I think the same argument applies when it comes
to altering the world to make it more accessible for blind people.  Most
things are designed under the assumption that they will be used by sighted
rather than blind people.  To design things in this way is wrong, just as it
is wrong to design Parliament under the assumption that only men will use
the washrooms.

You could challenge me on what I mean by inaccessible, and here's another
place where I suspect I clash with federation philosophy.  A blind person
shouldn't have to undergo significant blindness training in order to
function in the world.  She should absolutely have the opportunity to
acquire such training, but she shouldn't be condemned to a life of poverty
and isolation if she fails to receive such training.  We should not be
fighting for a world that only well-trained and qualified blind people can
adapt to; we should be fighting for one where as many people as possible,
with the widest variety of skills as possible, can flourish.  This is an
ideal; it's not a place we should ever expect to reach, but we should
nevertheless strive to achieve it.  To simply adapt to the world as it
exists is to accept injustice and discrimination.

Apologies for digressing from the intent of the original question.

Cheers,

Marc