[nabs-l] New Technology and Blindness

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Wed May 4 20:34:47 UTC 2011

Jedi,
  Yeah-that does make a lot of sense.  I agree with most of what
you're saying, I think.  And that's really aweful about your bank
account, were you able to get the money back?
  But, the thing is, not all ATMs talk.  Even though that's a legal
requirement, under the ADA, in my experience maybe 1 in 3 ATM machines
actually let me plug in headphones and do my business in private.
Should it be that way?  Of course not-both legally andmorally.  (in
this case)  But it is and, even though I've called my bank and
politely asked them to do something about the issue, it's still a few
months down the line...and that's just my bank, I know lots of others
that don't have speech access software on any ATM.  So what do we do
about it in the meantime?  Not withdraw our money?  Spend hours and
hours on end complaining about how we're entitled to a right we don't
have?  I'd rather spend the time figuring out a way to work within the
system, as it stands now, so I can do what I need to do.  I'm not
saying we don't push for equal access, we should.  But It's more
important to figure out how to work within a system that will never be
equal.  If that means I have to go with a roommate or family member
who I trust to withdraw money, even baring in mind the unfortunate
experience you had, so be it.  I wish I didn't have to, but I do, for
now.
  But I see your point and it's a good one.  I find myself concurring
with you on this one, at least with your last email.  But I think it's
important to realize we're not entitled to society going out of their
way to make sure we can keep up.  It's our responsibility to adapt and
find ways to accomplish what we need to because, let's face it, we'll
never be on equal footing with our sighted peers.  Blindness is a
disability (call it an inconvenience if you like) and it brings with
it many annoyances and problems to work around-and those problems will
never go away.  So rather than ask "what can the world do to
accommodate us?" I think it's better to ask "how can we adapt to the
world?"  I'm a little concerned by the mentality that we're entitled
to all this stuff, all this money (how many of us actually pay our own
tuition?  I know not me and I feel a little guilty about it.), all
this extra technology and all this extra consideration to make the
world more fair for us.  Do we want equality, or do we want special
treatment?  They aren't the same thing.
  Warmest regards,
Kirt