[nabs-l] A few questions about NVDA

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Sat May 7 20:22:06 UTC 2011

Dear Nabs List,
  I'm helping a friend learn how to use computers.  Due to some
circumstances I don't want to go in to, he's pretty much on his own
with money and he can afford a decent laptop.  He has very little
experience using computers.  Since he can't afford jaws, I was
thinking about setting him up with NVDA and getting him started that
way.  Do you guys think that's a viable option for basic computer
use-web browsing, email, word processing and the like?  If so, how
steap is the learning curve.  I consider myself an intermediate to
advanced computer user, I've used jaws for years, but how similar is
the NVDA interface with jaws?  I'd appreciate it if any NVDA users
could get in touch with me, either on or off-list.
  Warmest regards,
Kirt