[nabs-l] Out of curiosity

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Sun May 8 19:13:25 UTC 2011

Yes-it's all in the way the blindfold activities are handled. For
example, it seems like in almost all blindness simulations
participants aren't given canes. This may seem obvious, but without a
cane or other mobility aid, it is very difficult to get around safely
in a crowded, unfamiliar space-in fact, I'd say most if not all of us
who are totally blind would never walk around independently in an
unfamiliar place without a cane! So of course the blindfolded folks
will have trouble getting around, and conclude that's how it is to be
blind.
Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org