[nabs-l] NFB training centers and guide dogs

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun May 8 23:04:51 UTC 2011

Kirt,

You can bring a guide dog to a training center. We have two students
here at the LCB who have guide dogs. But coming from an O and M
perspective, I highly recommend you get your blindness training in
order first before getting a dog. The dog will only be as helpful to
you as your travel skills are. So if you've not got the kind of travel
skills you want, the dog probably won't be as helpful to you. I've
heard both LCB guide dog users say that training has helped them use
their dogs better, but both of them also recommended O and M cane
training first in order to get those foundational concepts down, and
I'm not just talking about the fundamentals of cane skills. More
important, i'm talking about problem-solving; most of your training at
CCB will consist of problem-solving training, so it's a good idea to
hold off the dog until you're done. Just my thoughts.

Respectfully,
Jedi