[nabs-l] An Article about another Student at Myy College

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Mon May 9 16:15:11 UTC 2011

Jedi,
  I never said we aren't equal after training-I think we are, for all
intents and purposes.  That being said, blindness is still an
inconvenience after any sort of training I saw a well-trained, totally
respectable leader in the NFB, who I'm sure you know by name, take a
big group in to a vending machine because he thought that's where the
door was.  Of course he fixed his mistake, but it still set us back a
minute or so.  And I can't really think of many better trained or more
"equal" blind people than this gentleman, for whom I have the utmost
respect.  Fact is, that's a mistake a sighted person probably wouldn't
have made.  (or, at least, a sighted person would've figured out we
were going the wrong way quite a while before we actually touched the
drink machines with our canes)  So all I'm saying is that, even with
propper training, there are still inconveniences associated with
blindness.  I suppose you could say that makes us nominally not equal
from a utilitarian standpoint but really, that's just silly.  As far
as practical life is concerned, I think propper training levels the
playing field and, in the context of equality meaning ability to work
on the same level as the sighted world, makes us pretty much equal.
Ionly say "pretty much" because there are still inconveniences that
come with blindness, like the example I gave, which the general
populus doesn't have to face.  I'm aware that each person, whether
blind or sighted or smart or talented or whatever, needs training and
opporutunity to succeed.  I'm also aware that each "equal" person has
individual inconveniences and annoyances to get past-all I'm saying is
the inconveniences and annoyances that come with blindness come in
adition to whatever other personal inconveniences a blind person has,
so, if we're being technical and stupid, that makes us not equal from
the standpoint of productivity because we have more potential
hinderences.  However, with the right training, I say those
hinderences can't hold us back, even though they may be annoying and
get in the way, training allows us to achieve on whatever level we
want so, although we aren't "equal" from a technical standpoint, (and
I'm still talking about productivity potential, not intrinsic value),
those inequalities become nominal rather than debilitating.
  Just my thoughts,
Kirt