[nabs-l] A blind Fulbright grantee's question

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue May 10 21:06:04 UTC 2011

Adriana,
Good luck with your decission.
Services vary.  Although it should not determine where you go, I suggest
talking to the DSS office and seeing what they offer.  All schools should
make testing accomodations via readers or computers for you. All schools
should get you accessible texts via audio or the publisher; the audio you
can get yourself via your own account. But
you need DSS to request the electronic text from the publisher because they
want your dss counselor to fill it out and have proof of disability and
proof you bought the book.
If they do not provide these services, if I were you I'd fight to get them
at the school because its your right to have them.

Next about transportation. The best thing to do is your own research.  But
as others said, I heard Philidephia has an extensive transit system. They
have subways, buses and it is accessible via Amtrack train.  In that city
you can walk many places too.
My brother lived in Tampa briefly; its smaller. Tampa has sparcer transit,
but you may be able to walk where you need.
What Fayetville are you referencing? If Fayeteville, NC, it has a bus system
I think, but nothing else except for cabs.
I'm glad you are getting into grad school for this.  Good luck.
Ashley