[nabs-l] A blind Fulbright grantee's question

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Tue May 10 22:42:46 UTC 2011

I've decided that, for me on the whole, disability service offices are
highly over-rated. Usually, I just make my own accessible documents,
especially since e-mail is so easy to get at these days. Most
instructors are pretty cool with making on-the-fly adaptations for
assignments and tests as needed. As for books, I usually just order
mine or get my own reader. the only time i tend to use the DSS offices
is for those classes where I can't do something for myself. For
example, I needed a Braille math text that wasn't printed yet, so I got
the DSS office to get me an electronic brf that I read through my
notetaker. I used the DSS for science lab readers and a tactile
interpreter for ASL classes. But this particular office was one of the
better ones. But generally speaking, I just do my own stuff out of the
box. So, I guess what I'm saying is that your need for  a DSS office
will greatly depend on your courses and what you can do for yourself.
If your need is low, then DSS offices might not be as concerning to
you. But if your need is high, you bet that the DSS office will on the
top of your quality control list.

Respectfully Submitted