[nabs-l] studying, skimming and reference material

Antonio Guimaraes freethaught at gmail.com
Thu May 12 01:52:08 UTC 2011

Hi Ashley,

I can not identify with not having notes on tometing that was talked about
in class. Note-taking is a strength of mine, and this does mean not taking
too many notes at times.

Here is the relevant tip or two I can share from a class I took on Urban
Government.

The professor would walk in the class room and interrupt my listening of
Morning Edition, how rude.

He'd write his notes on the board. They were the outline of the lecture, and
any related key consepts.

I'd make sure a class mate would read me the notes. The teacher allowed some
time for this, and the process would only take about 3 minutes.

He'd teach from his outline, and I'd fill in the information in the notes,
editting on the braille lite at the time.

I'd go home, read some of the book and fill in more of the blanks in a
separate file.

He gave study guides before exams, I'd scan it or have it dictated to me.
They were not that long for me.

I pasted the study guide into the class notes file, and searched for study
terms in the same file. Once I found the answers in my notes, I'd paste the
response just below the study question.

Now I had access to the exam expectations right along with answers. I'd cram
as hard as I could on the bus on the way to school, and my grades were okay
for the class. I actually would ace the exams even thought i feared his
method of testing us 4 times a semester with essay questions only, and that
was that.

Each test was 25 percent of your grade, and no multiple choice.

His class was at 8:00, and he was what I'd call a hart *** professor. Just
the setting I like the best. One of the best community college professors
around.

Reader dirrections are not difficult as long as you have a good working
rhythm with your reader.

I say things like

Next paragraph, skip, next heading, read the ittalics words, previous
sentense, two sentenses ahead, repeat sentense, and the like.

the reader is your eyes. A cursor on the printed page, and you'll need to
have them read as fast or as slow as you need. They may dictate text, or
read text onto recording for you.

You can take dictation for later transcription into electronic notes you can
search, but be careful not to forget to listen later. It's amazint how many
notes I've recorder and meant to write down.

Electronic versions of your notes allow you to manipulate, search, and edit
the text.

Hope this helps, and let me go see what other recent NABS messages I might
read and enloy since my last post a while ago.

There's got to be something interesting out there.

Thanks for your question. There was a similar thread back when I last read
the list. I think I opened the skimming can of worms back then.

Antonio Guimaraes