[nabs-l] Ebook Accessibility/The Future of NLS And Bookshare

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Wed May 25 04:28:16 UTC 2011

One more thing (I hate double posting, but I sure do it a lot),
  Maybe I was being just a bit too bold-we're not quite to the point
where mainstream ebooks are as accessible as bookshare files or RFB&D
audiobooks...but we're moving there fast.  I don't think it'll be too
long until you can read a Kindle book or a Blio book on your notetaker
or smart phone with braille display.  The technology's out there, it
just needs to be developed and put to use a little bit more-and that
trend's already started with Apple and Blio.  But it won't be too long
until reading a mainstream ebook in braille, on any platform we use to
read electronic braille now, will be as saemless and practical as
using bookshare.  When that happens (and it's certainly not far off),
I suspect we'll have an interesting philosophical debate on our
hands...and you all better know where I'll stand after my last few
posts.  *grin*  And now, for me, I don't need bookshare anymore to get
ebooks for free I should buy and I feel like Learning Ally books are
probably the same because of Audible (although audible's library isn't
as extensive for textbooks), and I feel a little guilty every time I
download a learning ally book for free that I should buy, just like
every sighted person out there has to buy audiobooks instead of
getting them on a silver platter
  I'm done now,
Kirt