[nabs-l] Why Did I Join Nabs?

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Thu May 26 20:43:50 UTC 2011

Mike,

Finally, I agree with you! * Smile! If you lose enough sight
(notice I say sight, not vision, remember the motto in my
signature) that you can't function well by using your sight
alone, you're, in essence, blind.  I think the issue with the
term "blind" and why some people like the term "visually
impaired" is that visually impaired is a general term that refers
to all the levels of vision loss: legally blind, low vision,
significantly low vision, and total blindness.  When I give
presentations to sighted people about blindness, I use the term
"blind and visually impaired" (I know, a loss of sight, never a
loss of vision, but sighted people don't think of it that way,
know your audience here) to get the point across to them that
there are different levels of sight loss.  A false belief in the
sighted world is that there are two categories in sight: sighted
(those who don't carry a cane or handle a dog and have sight, but
maybe are legally blind or low-sight but are not totally blind)
and total blindness (can't see at all, relies on a cane or a dog
to travel and Braille to read.) Just my thoughts!

 Chris

--- Sent from my BrailleNote