[nabs-l] Security in ourselves, acceptance in others

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun May 29 17:54:14 UTC 2011

Actually, the NAACP had been planning to test the law in just that way
since, I think, 1953, and was just waiting for the proper circumstances. I
dare say little has been said about this because the NAACP didn't want to
give notice of its strategy (it might prove useful again) and, as I said,
because the sexual mores of the time would have overshadowed the effect of
challenging the law in the minds of the public.

There's often a lot more to history than the conventional wisdom but it
sometimes gets so convoluted that it doesn't make it to the general mythos.

Mike