[nabs-l] Blindness and other minorities

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 6 18:07:51 UTC 2011

I think it's great that people are doing positive things during Meet the
Blind Month. My chapter says every year that we're going to do something
then we don't. It is doing activities like this that allow us to do
community outreach that begins to people an opportunity to learn a
different way of thinking.

However, and I make this comment without knowing the full extend of
which you did a presentation on, but perhaps we need to display a
broader view of blindness and present more independent concepts. Nothing
is wrong with sighted guide, and it's important sighted people who
assist with guiding us know the proper way, but what about explaining
the importance of independent mobility with a cane or dog, andhow this
is equal to traveling with sight? And what about demonstrating Braille
and how efficient it can be? As we educate, we want to instill the idea
of independence, and how we can be equally independent among our sighted
peers with little, to no, sighted assistance. I'm not suggesting blind
people never require a pair of eyes, and we should instruct people in
the best way in which to assist us, but I think we need to focus more on
our independent capabilities and how we can be equally efficient than on
how best to assist us such as sighted guide.

I'm probably sparking controversy, but it goes back to the role we play
in educating and informing. We don't have to "water-down" our message
just because sighted people may be uncomfortable. We present ourselves
with diplomacy, but we don't have to cater to what makes them feel
better. The truth needs to be unleashed even if that makes people
uncomfortable. Independence truly is a state of mind, and society must
understand that a lack of sight doesn't equate to inferior or less
capable- it's just a different way to do most the same things.

I mean no offense, and I'm glad to hear of people being active in their
communities, but I think what we present needs to focus on our best
interest and not on issues making those who aren't blind feel less
awkward and uncomfortable. It's our turn to assert and instill our goals
and concepts.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: