[nabs-l] Grabbing Etc.

Lea williams leanicole1988 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 14:39:01 UTC 2011

My dad has always tried to lead me by pushing me through doors. I
always hated it and would trip in to signs and stuff if he was turned
around trying to hold the door open for another behind us. I would
tell him not to and to let me go behind him, but he insisted in doing
it like this so he could see where it is that i was going. Leading me
by me hanging on to him would force me to be behind him and he could
not see me. I get people who wants to guide me the way the nurses do
to the older in the hospitle, holding my elbow, but I do not like this
either, I feel more likely to trip. If I am walking wiht someone and i
grab their arm, they grab my hand, I grab their arm again and they go
after my hand presistantly , I will either say let me hold your arm,
or I am going to hold on to your arm, all in a nice way of course. But
some people, like some of the bus drivers who I will ask to walk me in
to places that are complicated, like my doctors, will grab my hand and
I just go with it a lot of the time. It is how my much younger cuzzins
led me, but that was because they were to short for me to hold their
arms. One driver held my hand up really high and then ergently told me
to slow down, I was walking to fast and step up step up.
I had to go to the doctor for applying for a guide dog lately and the
new doctor lady insisted on me being on that aweful table instead of
the much perfured chair, so she grabbed my hand to make sure I did not
get lost in the tiny room and kept telling me to slow down I moved to
fast. I guess they think we do that granny walk or something?
I do not feel off ballenced so much, but more vollenerble than if I
held on to the person the right way. Most people are willing to change
to what i want as long as I tell them so.

--
Lea Williams

Phone;
704-732-4470