[nabs-l] Grabbing etc.

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 02:08:43 UTC 2011

Arielle,

Don't feel bad about losing your calm with people who grab you especially those who silently grab. Any other situation, this would be called harassment, but because we are blind, it suddenly turns into charity. I'll hit strangers who grab me. I don't know what their intentions are, and it's just a gut reaction. I don't purposely go around seeking people to beat up on, but if a complete stranger grabs me, my natural instinct is to protect myself. Physical contact is one thing I don't think we need be diplomatic and patient with. No one has the right to touch us even if out of kindness. Does not common sense dictate that if I'm out on my own I'm probably okay and don't require assistance? Grabbing, or touching in any way, is crossing a line, and we shouldn't feel bad about reacting. As I said, especially for women, in any other context, grabbing a person would constitute to harassment.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
bpollpeter at hotmail.com

LiveWellNebraska.com