[nabs-l] Grabbing and streetcrossing help

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 10 20:48:42 UTC 2011

Arielle,

I know, right? It's such a fine balance between diplomatic assertiveness
and aggressive rants. Ultimately, I don't get why we're expected to feel
like a child or incapable, or even violated, just because others don't
understand. And it seems like no matter how we respond, people think
we're just being stubborn and prideful. Not to lump all nonblind people
together, but it does happen an awful lot. To me, it seems obvious that
a blind woman at a gym with no companion, or no companion in the
vicinity, probably is good and doesn't need help. And why people think
they can just touch, grab, yank, whatever, without asking is beyond my
comprehension level. Like I said before, in any other scenario, this
would be called harassment. I don't think I'll ever fully adjust to
these attitudes and kind of assistance. It's just not how I'm
constructed, and the longer I'm blind, the less and less I understand
it, not that I ever have understood it.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: