[nabs-l] Grabbing and streetcrossing help

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 23:40:36 UTC 2011

Mark,
I agree with you. I go sighted guide a lot when walking and talking
with another person. Its easier to keep in contact with them and faster.
Also, if I I use my cane, it might trip them. If you follow them, where does
the person stand so your cane isn't in the way? If they're ahead of you,
they cannot see your cane arc. Do they walk behind and give directions?

We cannot say we're independent and get a sighted guide everywhere we go.
Yet, in
some circumstances, I think sighted guide is appropriate. It just depends.
IMO, independence means we're in control of where we go and what we're
doing. So going out for dinner and grabbing an elbowof a companion seems
reasonable. You made a decision where to go and how to get there and likely
you'll use one group member as a reader of your bill and the menu.

I guess we balance when to use a guide. Mark, yes you can hang on to a blind
person. That is why they call it human guide now, not sighted guide.
O&M instructors changed the term recognizing that blind people can and do
guide each other.

Ashley