[nabs-l] (It’s Just So Darn Hard) - NYTimes.com

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun Nov 13 21:12:38 UTC 2011

Alex is right. For the sighted, most math and science classes (even as
soon as high school) go from a multi-modality approach to a lecture
approach that really only reaches people who excel at listening,
watching, and note taking. Even then, these students struggle because
they're expected to take in a wealth of information that really hasn't
been engaged in their brains to the fullest extent. Since sight is such
a strong part of current modalities for lecturing and teaching these
days, blind students really are at a disadvantage.

What we ought to do is create hands-on and multi-modality curricula for
everyone that allows multiple methods for learning the material other
than the typical lecturing. I see this problem in non-STEM fields, but
the STEM fields really do require so much more intense study to catch
all their nuances.

Respectfully,
Jedi