[nabs-l] Independence and judgment

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 22:32:38 UTC 2011

Bridget,

Very very good post. I do find it amazing that people within our
organization judge. I am too a person who is not only blind, but I am also
hearing impaired, and have balance issues. Before I was married to my
current husband, I was at a national convention, I was lost, stopped someone
for directions. This was Dallas. And yes they were blind too. But because I
could not find my way, I was judged. I didn't ask for them to guide me, I
wasn't asking for them to lead me by my hand. Just give me some general
directions. When I explained I needed the elevator, not the stairs, again
more judgment. I avoid stairs like the plague, not because I am blind, but
because I could potentially fall down them. The judgment in our own
organization is harsher than in the normal sighted society. Because I am not
a super blindie, and I have to do things the way I do them, I get shamed
from NFB members. Our organization is not one that just has blind people in
it, we are now an organization with lots of people with additional
disabilities. But NO ONE is willing to recognize this, be sensitive to it,
and accept those people too.

Just two cents!
Marsha