[nabs-l] Grabbing Etc.

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 01:57:31 UTC 2011

Hi Arielle,

I completely agree! If I ask someone to go sighted guide or they
offer and I accept (which doesn't happen often,) and they grab my
arm, I
take my arm out of their hand by just bringing it around, then
find their arm and get in the correct position.  I then explain
to them that how I'm holding them now is the correct sighted
guide and ask them to let me take their arm next time.  Of
course, there are some people who just won't hear the correction
and continue to do it! That's the most annoying thing ever, in my
opinion! My 7th grade English teacher was one of those, and she
even did the silent grab one time.  I finally set up a meeting
with her, my TVI and I to discuss this and the other ways in
which she was helping me WAY too much.  Then she finally changed
it.  She sometimes reverted back to the old (as I call it)
backwards sighted guide, but it was easy for me to correct this.
I know! I hate the silent grab!

Chris

nuisance."
-- Kenneth Jernigan (President, National Federation of the Blind,
1968-1986

P.S.  The I C.A.N.  Foundation helps blind and visually impaired
youth in Maryland say "I can," by empowering them through
providing assistive technology and scholarships to camps and
conventions which help them be equal with their sighted peers.
For more information about the Foundation and to support our
work, visit us online at www.icanfoundation.info!

Sent from my BrailleNote Apex