[nabs-l] Grabbing Etc.

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 23:57:15 UTC 2011

Arielle,
I agree with you. I am startled when I'm grabbed with no prior verbal
communication.
Being grabbed is a dignity and safety issue. It throws off my balance  as
well and I'm worried where they're taking me. I speak up, and usually am
polite saying to them to let go and I'm alright. If that doesn't work I'm
more firm and I might have to
disengage my arm, but that is rare. Like you, I might encounter someone whom
I got directions or information from, then they say something like "come,
I'll help you get there." If I choose to go with them, I ask to follow them
or go sighted guide. If they touch my arm, I say "no, I would rather hold
your arm by the elbow." Other times, verbal info is enough, and I decline
their offer.

I won't hide my annoyance about the grabbing thing. Like other ladies have
said, I find it especially uncomfortable for a stranger of the male gender
to invade my space and do this. However, I think that has only happended a
few times. Any other time, such a maneuver would be considered harrassment.

Ashley