[nabs-l] Blindness and other minorities

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 21:57:34 UTC 2011

Hi Bridgit,

I'm sorry I took that too literally, as it wasn't meant to be
taken that way.  A lot of people get those two forms of
government mixed up, and I have to explain to them that we're not
a true democracy.  If we were, all decisions would be made by the
people.  Well who knows, maybe that would be better.  LOL Anyway,
I don't think the discrimination that we are currently faced with
in this country is not because of the laws and system of
government because we now have a lot of anti-discrimination laws
in place; the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Rehabilitation Act of
1973, The Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA,)
and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA.) So, what laws that
haven't been repealed are supporting discrimination against us?
We almost had one in the subminimum wage bill, but thank God that
was voted down.  Now we just need cosponsors for the replacement
bill, the Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act.  Has
anyone on this list contacted their Congresspeople? If so, what
were your experiences?

Chris

nuisance."
-- Kenneth Jernigan (President, National Federation of the Blind,
1968-1986

P.S.  The I C.A.N.  Foundation helps blind and visually impaired
youth in Maryland say "I can," by empowering them through
providing assistive technology and scholarships to camps and
conventions which help them be equal with their sighted peers.
For more information about the Foundation and to support our
work, visit us online at www.icanfoundation.info!

Sent from my BrailleNote Apex