[nabs-l] Blindness vs. Other Minority Groups

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 22:52:01 UTC 2011

I have been reading threw the portion of this thread related to concealing
aspects of oneself and/or changing behavior to fit into the mold of what is
considered "normal" by society. It is a very interesting question, and I
find the arguments advanced by Marc and Arielle quite persuasive. I can't,
however, shake the feeling that blind kids should be discouraged from
rocking or engaging in other behavior that is considered outside the
mainstream.

First, let me say, I couldn't agree more that the call for blind folks to
hide their eyes if they look abnormal is misguided, and, frankly, fairly
offensive. I am 100% on board with the notion that we need not, and in fact
should not, hide part of what and who we are simply for the comfort or
convenience of others. If somebody wants to wear sunglasses that is entirely
their decision, and there is absolutely no problem with it, but nobody ought
to be suggesting that anybody do so for anybody else's benefit.

Regarding the question of so called "blindisms," I tend to agree with Greg
that we have precious little choice but to be pragmatic about the issue and
dissuade blind folks from rocking, poking, etc., if we want them to be set
up to compete and succeed socially and professionally. I might cede the
point that, in an ideal world, folks wouldn't be judged on such ultimately
inconsequential attributes. However, if I were to grant this point, I would
do so with some reluctance. How far does this go by logical extension? What
if I like to eat my pasta and salad with my hands rather than a fork and
knife? Should people just accept that and move on, or is there some real
value in conforming to social norms there? The same question could just as
easily be asked regarding a sighted child who prefers to eat with his hands.
Is that Ok? Would an ideal society accept that as something that harms
nobody; merely a personal preference to be respected? I don't see how the
answer to the former can be "yes," and the latter "no." Maybe that's Ok, but
it seems to me that, when you get right down to it, a whole lot of what we
deem acceptable and unacceptable  - a large part of the foundation of our
society - is based on nothing more than a general approval or disapproval of
it among the populous, and, if you feel that we ought not to be telling
blind kids not to rock or bob, there are a whole slew of other things we
ought not to be telling folks in general to do or not do.

Finally, related to nonverbal communication, you won't catch me dropping fat
cash on modeling classes in the hopes of appropriately arching my eyebrows
at just the right moment, but I think the basics are important. As has been
said, many facial expressions are built in. I have never been taught how to
look happy, sad, or irritated, but when I feel it, I look it. Perhaps this
is different for everybody, but some basic animation in the face seems to
come pretty naturally. And, for the record, I have never seen a face.

Facing somebody when in conversation and shaking hands when introduced would
seem to fall into the realm of common courtesy. They're social norms, to be
sure, but I see absolutely no reason that blind individuals shouldn't be
expected to adopt these norms like anybody else. I am not saying that
anybody has argued that we shouldn't be expected to do so, but we should. If
I meet somebody and they don't offer a hand, barring some obvious reason not
to, it seems rude. This ties back into the above point that once we accept
that some people will rock, etc., we might have to accept a lot of other
actions, or lacks of action, based on the same rationale.

Take care,

Sean