[nabs-l] Blindness vs. Other Minority Groups

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 01:54:51 UTC 2011

Sean wrote,
it seems to me that, when you get right down to it, a whole lot of what we
deem acceptable and unacceptable  - a large part of the foundation of our
society - is based on nothing more than a general approval or disapproval of
it among the populous, and, if you feel that we ought not to be telling
blind kids not to rock or bob, there are a whole slew of other things we
ought not to be telling folks in general to do or not do.

I think you're right that the argument potentially has far-reaching implications.  I'm not sure that this isn't a good thing though.  Part of what drives my thinking is seeing an analogy with the experiences of other minorities.  I said a bit about race, but I think gender works as well.  Consider the example of a woman not shaving her legs.  This is something that can cause discomfort and even disgust among men and women alike.  I think it's a fairly well-entrenched social norm that women will shave their legs, particularly when wearing shorts or skirts.  Now if a woman who chooses not to shave her legs has significantly diminished social and professional opportunities as a result, this just strikes me as wrong.  And the solution isn't to get the woman to shave her legs, it's to break down the rigidity of the norm.  Extending that further, if a person with male biology chooses to dress the way women typically dress, that person is more likely to be socially isolated, to have limited professional opportunities, to experience physical and verbal abuse, and to contemplate and attempt suicide.  This again strikes me as obviously wrong, and the fault is with the rigidity of the gender norms and their overt and subtle enforcement.  So I would say that many of our social norms ought to be challenged and broken down.  Wether eating salad with ones hands is among these, I can't really say.  Some social norms are not strictly a matter of convention; they are based on health concerns.  It may be that eating with one's hands increases the likelihood of spreading germs and disease and can be discouraged on those grounds.  Personally, though, I think a little relaxation of the norms around the dinner table wouldn't be a terrible thing.

The use of the phrase "foundation of our society" makes me wonder if it isn't being suggested that social norms are necessary for a society to exist or function.  I really don't know.  It seems likely that we need to share in common at least some expectations about how others will behave.  But I am really confident that at least some norms do serious damage and ought to be challenged, and I'm pretty confident that it would be better for everyone if most norms were at least relaxed.  Among these, I would include the sorts of ones related to blindness that we've been discussing.

Cheers,

Marc