[nabs-l] Blindness vs. Other Minority Groups

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 04:41:49 UTC 2011

Ashley wrote,
> So do what the culture does.

Fortunately, throughout history, there have been many people who have not simply went along with cultural norms.  If Americans had never challenged cultural norms, you'd still have slaves, women wouldn't be able to vote, and blind people would only ever have jobs in sheltered workshops.

You might reformulate to say, do what the culture does if what the culture does is right.  But then you have to ask if excluding and discriminating on the basis of arbitrary and irrelevant characteristics/behaviours is right.  I would say that it isn't myself.

Best,

Marc