[nabs-l] Legal system not supporting blind people

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 21 17:54:39 UTC 2011

Chris,

Again, based on technical definitions, you're absolutely correct,
however, as I stated, our official government system is listed as a
democracy. We don't follow the technical attributes of a democracy- it's
not a one man, one vote system, but nonetheless, we're considered a
democracy. And as Jedi said, we're a representative democracy.

You say that you always have to correct people when they claim America
is a democracy, but why, since we are taught this in school, and
America's official government system is listed as such?

Now, we have adopted anti-discrimination laws, but my point is that we
live in a country that has always, from it's inception, claimed to be a
country based on equality, but this equality hasn't always extended to
every citizen, or even person, living here. Yes, we have drafted and
adopted anti-discrimination laws, but it took years to do so. It took a
hundred years, from the Civil War, to allow racial/ethnic minorities
true equality in this country. Again, women weren't allowed to vote
until the 1920's, and we're still paid less, on average, than men no
matter the position. How long did it take to give people with
disabilities rights? We're still fighting for many of these rights. And
hello, gay rights? Regardless of where you stand on this issue, it's
very clear that gays are still very much discriminated against.

despite of certain current wins for rights and equality for the blind,
first, we shouldn't have to fight for them to begin with, and second,
what about equality to accessing information, use of technology,
provisions to take LSAT exams, and other exams, in a method equal to our
sighted peers? If our legal system supported us, we wouldn't have to
file law suits like this.

And hello, what about the young couple in Missouri? Just two years ago a
couple in MO had their baby taken by CPS and the only reason was their
blindness. A foster-parent raised the baby for two months, leaving the
parents with no memories of the first-two months of their child's life.
If you don't have children you might not understand this, but it's a
huge deal. Where the laws protecting them? No anti-discrimination law
helped them. CPS, to my understanding, still has not apologized or even
admited to any wrong doing. This is a perfect example of how a popular
mindset is supported by our legal system, whether willing or unwilling.
Had a law said that blindness alone isn't a reason for CPS to
investigate a couple, this baby and her parents would have been together
from the beginning just like most sighted parents and children. How is
this not a legal issue?

And what about Braille legislation? We hear over and over how only ten
percent of blind students are taught to read and write Braille, so where
are the laws allowing us to choose the right medium for us? An
instructor of teachers going into the field to work specifically with
blind students said, and I almost quote, that students and parents
aren't allowed to choose what medium they learn for reading writing;
instead, data developed by educators helps "professionals" figure out
what is "best" for a student. As we know, this "data," or criteria, is
flawed and gives blind students no right to select what is best for
them. Again, where are the laws backing us instead of backing a flawed
education system that has failed blind students for years?

While we've adopted anti-discrimination laws through the years, we still
support certain discriminatory behavior and ideas with our legal system
because of the lack of laws supporting us. And I point out once again
that no one- blind, black, gay, etc.- should have to campaign for fair
and equal treatment. We should have the same rights and be treated on
equal terms no matter personal feelings. If our legal system supported
all minorities in this way, society wouldn't have a legal basis in which
to discriminate against anyone.

People are as racist as ever, but laws now say you can't deny service
based on skin color or ethnicity. People still hold ideas that certain
minorities are not as equal, but laws keep these people from segregating
and discriminating, at least doing so with legal support.

So where are the laws supporting the blind? Why can't I have a child
without having CPS show up at my door to double check my child is safe?
Most sighted people take a child home and no one contacts CPS, but just
because I'm blind, this is a potential issue? And why can't I learn
Braille to help me read and write? Technology is great, or my eyes may
be able to see some large print, but Braille would make me so much more
efficient. And yet no laws make it illegal for the education system to
deny me this knowledge.

Many of our problems, though stemming from societal attitudes, exist
because we have no legal basis in which to demand rights, and be treated
equally, with issues taken for granted by many. This, my friend, is
completely a legal thing, and our government fails us each time we are
denied a right, discriminated against and have to lobby for legislation
putting us on an equal footing. We could have laws supporting us so,
though people will always discriminate, there would be no legal basis
for people to get away with this behavior.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan