[nabs-l] Blindness versuses other minority groups

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Wed Nov 23 01:19:21 UTC 2011

Bridgit,

It's a thought supported by research. Back in the 80s and 90s, Romanian
children in orphanages were studied. Back then, these orphanages were
known for keeping their kids cooped up in small spaces with not a lot
of adult attention. Researchers found that these children exhibited
some pretty strange mannerisms of movement and behavior, much like the
ones we often find in blind children who didn't get much opportunity to
explore the world and socialize with others. Annecdotally, we've found
that getting blind children involved in the world from birth, as we do
other children, seems to lessen the impact of unusual developments of
behavior. As a sort of research, we could each consider , the kind of
mannerisms we have or used to have, and think about whether or not we
had much opportunity for exploration. I'd be interested to see if there
is a contingent relationship here based just on our observations of our
own lives. As for myself, I used to rock a lot, but I also used to have
a fair amount of exploration. In my case, I wonder if I didn't pick up
rocking from my mother; she used to rock quite a lot herself and she is
sighted. I will say that I didn't have much social opportunity; I lived
in an isolated situation most of my younger years with few children to
play with. I think I experienced some fear regarding certain activities
and so didn't engage in them much. As a result, I don't think I
developed physically as well as I maybe could have until much later. As
for the rocking, my mother and I both decided to try a new technique to
kick the habit: we both decided to substitute the behavior for one
considered more "normal." I don't know how well the technique worked
for my mother, but it worked for me; I suspect changing my behavior
caused me to consider it consciously and thus extinguish it.

Respectfully,
Jedi