[nabs-l] Body language and facial expressions

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 24 02:42:00 UTC 2011

Bridgit,
Wow, a novel. I felt like you do. I like your  examples.
Its not about sighted vs blind behavior. I said blindisms only because blind
people exhibit such behavior if not reinforced not to do it.
But really its about behavior and fitting into society and well acting
socially appropriate.
Barbara Pierce wrote some good articles in Future reflections about teaching
blind kids proper manners, eating skills, and socializing.

Like you, before this discussion, I thought about these norms I was taught
like facing the person I'm speaking to or eye contact, shaking hands,
appropriate posture, not picking nose, not chewing gum loudly in public
settings like college, etc as just social behavior. I did not think at all
of this as sighted vs blind. I thought I'm an American girl like everyone
else. My parents and teachers taught my brothers how to act. They taught me
to some extent too. My parents did not teach me about clothes matching
because they did not know how, same with  hair, but manners they did.

Also, I have some vision and when I see blind people acting so weird like a
few who open their mouths for no reason or pick their nose, I wonder what is
wrong with them?

I'm in the middle being visually impaired. So I see where blind people come
from and sighted people too.

Great post as always.

I might have some questions about your modeling and acting classes later.

Happy thanksgiving!
Ashley