[nabs-l] ipad verses blindness products

josh gregory joshkart12 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 17:26:32 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,
OK, I shall try to combine my thoughts here:
1. Beth, bluetooth is still on the braillenote family of products.
2. IOS is awesome, and let us not forget iPod touch, :) There are a
wealth of apps available that can assist people with completeing
tasks, (e.g) pages for taking notes and writing documents, keynote for
presentations, and the list goes on.
3. Ashley, I have seen and used, for a short time, a qwerty bluetooth
keyboard. While it was aukward for me to use and the keys were not
spaced apart, they were, in fact, still quite large, and you might
have better luck than me, smiles.
4. Yes, notetakers and the like are quite expensive. My local lions
club was not even sure they'd be able to procure the funds for me to
get my apex, it was $6000. If they want to keep up, blindness
companies and the like are seriously going to have to consider
lowering there prices, or they will be headed for a potential
disaster. Blind people will, as other people have rightly pointed out,
start shifting towards IOS an separate braille displays, for their
cheapness and reliability.
Think that's everything for now. *smiles*
Best,
Josh