[nabs-l] Getting Feedback from Sighted People

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Wed Nov 30 03:12:59 UTC 2011

Arielle,

You won't get much argumet from me. I think you're right to point out
that sighted people often attempt to get away with stuff as well and
don't often receive much specific criticism for it. Having received the
kind of blunt feedback you're mentioning (much of it was honestly not
necessary and didn't have anything to do with mannerisms, but social
skills generally), I can honestly say that one can develop a strong
sense of inadequacy; I still face it today. I was told that, because
I'm blind, I can't see others' faces and so have no social skills.
Anything I ever did was attributed in this way, even those dumb things
we all do as kids or teenagers. After hearing if from parents and
teachers for about six years or more, I started to doubt myself and
feel pretty bad about myself. The funny thing is that my critics had
very poor social skills themselves (looking back). As a direct result,
I still tend to take criticism far too personally; I automatically
assume that if something's wrong socially speaking, it must have been
my fault. If anyone ever asks for a word in private with me (even if
I'm about to be privately praised for something), my heartrate and
stress level sky rockets. Well, it's not as bad now as it used to be,
but I can still feel it. Perhaps that's why I'm a big advocate of
acceptance first as a starting point for growth in the area of social
development.

Respectfully,
Jedi