[nabs-l] Getting Feedback from Sighted People

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 02:11:36 UTC 2011

Hi Tara,
A few comments:
-- I agree with you, overall, that information is good, and we can
decide what we want to do with it. It is also true that some
congenitally blind people genuinely do not understand the nuances of
sight and what others can or cannot see. After all, if we lived on an
alien planet where everyone else could mind-read or predict the future
except us, we would have no idea how those powers worked without it
being explained to us. In many ways I think being born blind is very
similar to this kind of alien situation. But anyway, while I think
these kinds of knowledge gaps should be corrected, I also still think
that sometimes when blind people "misbehave" as it were, it's not out
of ignorance or naivete but for other reasons like laziness or simply
not caring about being seen. There are plenty of sighted people who
don't clean up after their pet dogs, for example, so what's to stop a
blind person who is so inclined from walking away thinking they won't
get in trouble, or quickly picking a wedgie hoping not to get caught?
In other words, our undesirable acts aren't always due to blindness.
-- While I think a rehab class like what you mentioned is a good idea
in theory, I doubt that most human beings would have the emotional
stamina to accept that kind of blunt feedback without getting
seriously depressed or defensive. I would especially worry about
encouraging parents to do this with their blind kids. Of course they
should provide information and feedback, but there's a fine balance
between giving helpful suggestions for improvement and making the
child feel inadequate, particularly if the child knows that other
children aren't getting the same kinds of feedback. Thoughts?
Arielle