[nabs-l] A Few More Questions About Windows 7/Jaws

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 18:41:51 UTC 2011

Hi All:

Well, I received my laptop Thursday and am absolutely loving it. It's
really fast, and it definitely is fast enough to run everything I want
and doesn't slow down. I love it.

Anyway I had a few more questions though.

It turns out my computer did come with Internet Explorer. It is
Internet Explorer 8 though. I am considering upgrading to IE 9. When
you download something in IE 9 does the same dialogue come up asking
you to open, save, or cancel or is it different in IE 9? The reason I
am asking is because I've heard it's a lot different...it apparently
comes up in a toolbar which I heard wasn't accessible. Is this true?
What comes up when you go to download something?

Also, what is the best thing to do when Jaws stops speaking/crashes?
Yesterday I was downloading music and something came up (not sure what
it was)and anyway Jaws completely stopped speaking. I tried hitting
alt-F4 to get out of whatever it was, and then hitting alt-tab to get
out of the window to see if Jaws would speak if it was in a different
window. Nothing. I ended up having to manually shut the computer down
by holding the power button down and restarting. Is this the best
thing to do when in that kind of situation where Jaws does not speak?

I looked in the control panel today and saw Narrator. I did not
actually turn it on because I had Jaws running but I learned the
keystroke is alt-N. Next time Jaws crashes or stops speaking do I just
hit alt-n and Narrator should come on or do I need to do something
first to enable it?

Thanks,
Kerri