[nabs-l] A Few More Questions About Windows 7/Jaws

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 22:03:16 UTC 2011

Hi Kerri,
In IE 9, dialogs about saving vs. opening downloaded files and other
such notifications show up in a separate "notification bar". It is
accessible, but you have to press Alt-N to get to it. Sometimes JAWS
won't tell you there is a notification until you hit Alt-N, though, so
if you suspect there is a notification (i.e. you just clicked on a
link to download something) just press Alt-N to hear the notification.
When JAWS stops speaking on me, I usually do what you did-try closing
the window and then manually restarting if that doesn't work. This
shouldn't be happening a lot, though. If it does happen more than once
a day, you may want to get a sighted person to tell you what is
displayed on the screen next time JAWS freezes. When I first started
with Windows 7, I was getting these pop-ups asking if I wanted to
allow programs to make changes to my settings and these often
interfered with JAWS speech. I was able to have my sighted boyfriend
click on something to stop the notifications and the problem went
away, so I suspect it might be something like that or something with
your antivirus software or firewall that is blocking JAWS and causing
it to quit. Most of these things can be permanently disabled with a
few mouseclicks from someone sighted.
Best,
Arielle