[nabs-l] accessible magazines

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 23:10:17 UTC 2011

Hi Ashley,

Newsline is a great source for mainstream magazines like the
examples you gave, with the exception of Seventeen.  However, you
could email Scott White, the director of Newsline, at
swhite at nfb.org and suggest that magazine to him to put on
Newsline.  They're always looking for ideas on new newspapers and
magazines to be added.  I can understand what you're saying about
the speech synthesizer not being appealing to listen to (although
it's the same Eloquence used for JAWS, plus they've added two
more human-sounding voices from Nuance, Paul and Kate, which you
could find on the phone service by hitting 8 repeatedly in an
article until you find the one you like.) However, you can now
read Newsline material both from directly on the site using Web
News On Demand or by email.  They'll send you a DAISY book of
each newspaper in your email favorites list.  To set this up, go
to www.nfbnewslineonline.org and log in with your Newsline ID and
security code and you're good to go.  If you have any questions
about this, please let me know or call Newsline at 866-504-7300.
I don't know what magazines Bookshare and RFBD have, but I know
they have them, from what I hear from friends and earlier
discussions on this list.  BARD also has magazines.  I've just
signed up, so I don't know which magazines they have.  Hope this
helps!

Chris

 Chris Nusbaum

nuisance." -- Kenneth Jernigan (President of the National
Federation of the Blind, 1968-1986.)

  Visit the I C.A.N.  Foundation online at:
www.icanfoundation.info for
information on our foundation and how it helps blind and visually
impaired children in MD say "I can!"

Sent from my BrailleNote