[nabs-l] socializing tips in crowds and meetings

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 14 02:24:47 UTC 2011

Greg,
Since I've gone and will go to events such as homecoming where I would like
to mingle and join conversations in progress, I wonder about this too. If
I'm at a table or in a row of people, I can talk to people around me, but
some events like receptions and parties or that wedding shower I went to
have clusters of people milling around. People form subgroups and talk. How
can I wander around well and join conversations without butting in to them?
Do I just listen for a pause and join? Do I listen and just hope someone
turns and says, "Oh hi Ashley, join us."

I imagine that might happen even with sighted people; they will see a newby
or recognize a face, and say something.

I have trouble finding people I know in crowds. The only solution I have is
to ask someone else to look for that individual.
I want to join more social events so just got to wondering. And yes being
open, friendly and confident is a big help to get you to look  approachable.
Ashley