[nabs-l] Blind and low vision airline travlers

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Fri Oct 21 06:49:56 UTC 2011

For goodness' sake! I never said that we need labeled toilet flushers,
only that it could be done if desired. Usually, most individuals would
look near the toilet for the flusher and presume that a button near the
toilet would flush it. I could personally care less if the flusher were
labeled. I'd rather that airlines label exit doors in Braille by adding
signs to their handles that say "lift and pull out" just like in print
so that a person who is blind can opperate it without too much
training. Granted, this kind of labeling is probably not absolutely
necessary, but it would be helpful.

As to the currency issue, I think you missed the boat on that one. The
Federation never said that labeling currency was a bad idea or that it
would never be useful. Instead, it said that not having labeled money
is not a form of discrimination since discrimination implies that our
currency is not usable by blind persons which is not true. Most of us
have techniques that allow us to quickly identify our money with little
to no assistance from the sighted world; any asistance we do gain from
the sighted is often quick and painless and doesn't represent a
considerable hassle to most of us. Though it is true that some persons
might take advantage of a blind person's inability to actually see the
numbers on a bill, I'd say the amount of theft and cheating is probably
about the same as it is for the sighted; clerks have been known to
accidentally or purposefully shortchange a sighted customer.

Respectfully,
Jedi