[nabs-l] Lives Worth Living disability rights documentary airs on PBS

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 05:06:23 UTC 2011

I have no idea who produced this documentary, or what will be present in
terms of information. I won't judge this film without seeing it,
however, I have to point out that many, many other people have been
instrumental in the disability rights movement, and the NFB is but one
organization. Because a group like the Federation focuses solely on one
disability, we aren't always aware of what else exist out there.

Ed Roberts is actually one of the big names mentioned when discussing
rights for those with disabilities. He started the entire independent
living movement, and he's the first person to establish independent
living centers for those with disabilities. Roberts was diagnosed with
Polio at a young age; he was unable to move his body from the neck down
except a few fingers, and he has had to wear an iron lung most his life.
Roberts had a very independent and positive outlook on disability,
spurring others to get on board with accepting disability as a part of
life. He is known for saying "differently able," it was Roberts who
initiated the dialogue with airlines so that people with disabilities
could travel with whatever accomodations necessary especially those
using wheelchairs.

The pioneer program at Berkley providing services to students with
disabilities, that eventually was adopted at colleges around the
country, was headed by Ed Roberts. Because of this guy who few actually
know of, students with disabilities are offered services on their
respective campuses. Schools lacking stellar services should be ashamed
because that was never Roberts idea of quality services. Berkley has one
of, if not thee, best disability services in the country.

So before assuming the Federation, which has done a lot and is certainly
a powerful, important organization, double check facts. No pun intended,
but we tend to keep our blinders on in terms of disability in general.
The Federation has done a lot- probably the most- for blindness alone,
but in terms of the disability rights movement as a whole, many have
come before, and many are still around.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: